My nasal chronicle..

It all started in 9th grade. I was on the playground playing cricket. I was messing' around with my fielding and was determined to show my skills at the next available chance. Then it happened, the batsman hit the ball into the air and I saw it pitching towards me. Ola! Here was a chance to prove my talent, get this boy out and make up for all the screwed up fielding I had been showcasing of-late. I remember the ball coming down towards me and my hands automatically went up to grab it. The next things I remember was a ‘whoosh’, ‘crack’ and a black out.

A bloody mess, I went to the toilet and saw my bleeding nose. It sucked.

After that event, I lost the ability to breathe well through my right nostril. Growing up, I thought it was normal, but over the last few years, I’ve come to learn that my breathing is by no-means normal.

When I try to inhale through my right nostril, it just makes this squeaking sound. This causes me to breathe excessively through my mouth and puts extra stress on my left nostril.

I would suffocate if I couldn't breathe through my mouth. I also think I get winded easier than I should when I exercise because I'm not able to get enough oxygen through nose breathing (which warms the air faster). I still remember my dad and uncles screaming at me for panting like a dog during walks and treks with them. Neither they nor I could relate it to the problem of my nose which over a period of time, I had forgotten too.

But recently during a marathon 9 hour training session for Parivartan Corporate Training Academy – My latest venture, I realised that my nasal problem was a major obstacle in delivering the training. So, two days back, I got it fixed. The procedure is called endoscopic sinus surgery with septoplasty and terbinate reduction (turbinoplasty). The surgeon’s note says - “ Under GA (General Anaesthesia), Septoplasty done and deviated part of septal cartilate with spur removed, Bilateral uncinectomy, middle meatal antrostomy and anterior ethmoidectomy done. Parital reduction of middle turbinate done bilaterally."

Basically, when the ball hit my face, the wall that separates the nostril became deformed and was obstructing the nostril, so they went in and cut out the obstruction (that’s the septoplasty part).

Then, they will also increase the size of the airways by reducing the size of the “terbinates” – which is a tissue that forms and protrudes into the interior walls of the nasal cavity.

In the coming days, probably I won’t able to breathe through my nose at all, but soon after it should get better and better. And hopefully the pain will go away soon.

Oh, and just so you know, I've already heard the jokes about getting a nose job, so spare me. No, it was not inspired "extreme makeover". The change will not be cosmetic, I assure you- except I may smile a little more now on. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts