My tryst with destiny

Many people spend their health gaining wealth and then have to spend their wealth to regain their health

Being an entrepreneur in Kerala is one of the toughest jobs. Starting one’s new venture and married life at the same time can be termed insane! Well, I chose to be insane! Armed with a dream to create a unique professional training academy and an encouraging and motivating life partner beside me, I set out on the journey to build a brand name called ‘Parivartan CTA’.


Parivartan CTA has its surrogate office at Ernakulum and I had chosen to settle at Trivandrum for the convenience of my family. Naturally this called for weekly travel to and fro. Travel is something that has been a part of my life since birth. So it was never taxing for me, but ten months down the line, I woke up one fine Sunday with a terrible pain in my right knee. I just couldn’t straighten the knee due to pain. My wife and sister got me to the hospital and after some tests the doctors diagnosed “The rich man’s disease”, Gout as the reason for my situation.


In an attack of Gout, Uric Acid increases in the blood and accumulates in the joints as crystals. These crystals results in terrible pain by hurting the surrounding nerves. Uric acid level in blood increase due to high intake of proteins in one’s diet. Ahem! Milk and egg are my favorites, you see! The attack was acute and I was hospitalized for a week. Doctors advised me to control protein in my food, however they asked me not to stop protein intake.


During this week I realized two important facts – 1) Insurance is a blessing and 2) Situations and circumstances make people go to any extremes for their loved ones, otherwise how can I explain the guts and passion that my wife Indu and sister Anju handled the situation without anyone’s help? I liked the hospital – Punarjani Super Specialty Hospital and their committed staff. Call it ‘like’ or passion for Parivartan, by the time I got discharged, I convinced the hospital’s Director and made them Parivartan’s client. In a couple of week’s time, I took a session on ‘Patient Management’ for around 50 staff and nurses of the hospital.


My wife was extra cautious with my diet but at times I managed to cajole her for some of my favorite protein rich food. It was going to be a year since Parivartan’s launch and we planned to make it special. With 20+ clients including an MNC and operations pan India, it was a pretty impressive growth for a small concern that was mainly manned by me and at one point of time by 3 additional member Parivartan family. We celebrated Parivartan’s first anniversary in style and set goals for the coming


Parivartan added two new clients in the coming month and also penetrated Infopark, Kochi. Rajagiri College of Social Sciences at Kalamassery, Ernakulam – one of the most reputed colleges in Kerala was Parivartan’s first client and also my favorite project. What started as a single project there with the senior MSW batch later expanded to three regular batches which included MSW 09 and MCA 09. This apart from single day workshops done for various batches.


Rajagiri has been a fixed regular project and the current schedule made me to be at EKM three days a week. I usually stay at a permanent hotel while at Ernakulam. On the 20th of Feb 09, Parivartan associated with Malayala Manorama to conduct an event and right after that we rushed off to Varkala beach to host a DJ Party for Kadaltheeram Resort that night itself under the banner of Team Arun’s Events. Yes, back to back events is tiring but the next day we really chilled out at the beach and let our hairs down.


On 23rd morning I rushed off to Ernakulam for Rajagiri and couple of other sessions. The day went fine and I planned to meet couple of friends out there – as usual it did not happen!


On 24 the evening at 4.30PM I was packing up for a session in my hotel room when I felt a sudden pain in my head – It was massive and disorienting. I never get headaches and I usually don’t take pains seriously. I sat for a few seconds. My gut instinct told me that it was something to do with high BP and asked me to pull the alarm trigger. I threw some water over my face, got into my jeans and T Shirt, picked up my purse and phone and rushed out of my room. As luck would have it, I ran into Praveen, the hotel boy, who happens to be my favorite – He is on Orkut as well. I explained to him about my head ache and asked him to rush me to a nearby hospital. We got down to the reception and he rushed off to get a rickshaw/taxi. I was writhing in pain and it was peak office hours and getting a transport was not easy. The poor chap somehow managed to get an Auto Rickshaw and we ‘flew’ to the nearest hospital.


I pulled up Indu’s phone number and gave it to Praveen to contact in case of emergency. We arrived at the hospital and I walked into the casualty and told the doctor of possible high BP and severe head ache. The moment those words were out of my mouth the room suddenly sprang into action. Someone made me lie down and BP, ECG was monitored and the staff huddled together, they split and a nurse came to me, gave me an injection and a tablet. The doctor came to me and told that they are shifting me to Medical Trust Hospital. They had found some variation in my ECG and suspected some cardiac problem and hence decided to shift me to the bigger hospital. We reached MT hospital and I was wheel chaired into casualty. In the meantime I gave Praveen the contact number of my maternal uncle who stays about 60 KM away from Ernakulam while Indu is 280 KM away. I remember explaining my medical history to the doctor and then blank! I was either sedated or lost consciousness. In the meantime, Praveen called up my uncle and set a series of actions in motion. I vaguely remember seeing my second eldest uncle (I have five maternal uncles) walk into casualty and hold my hands.


In the meantime Indu tried calling me and on my instructions Praveen disconnected the call. She had a gut instinct that something was wrong and hunted down the hotel’s phone number and was appraised of my situation. Indu panicked when she was informed of my situation. It was late in the evening and there was no way how she and my sister, Anju could come down to Ernakulam. They were helped by Indu’s colleague and friend, Hari who dropped them off at the railway station next day to catch the first train. The next day, reputed Neuro Surgeon, Dr Sudish, checked me up and recommended an immediate surgery. My situation was aneurysm of a cerebral artery. In simple terms swelling/bleeding of an artery in my brain. He planned to insert a clip on the artery to block the bleeding. (
An aneurysm is an abnormal bulge or "ballooning" in the wall of an artery. Arteries are blood vessels that carry oxygen-rich blood from the heart to other parts of the body. An aneurysm that grows and becomes large enough can burst, causing dangerous, often fatal, bleeding inside the body).

Indu and my uncle Ravi were briefed about my situation and the recommendation of surgery. The seriousness and the possible side effects of the surgery were explained in detail before asking them their consent for the surgery. The possible side effects included loss/disparity in speech, loss of motor/movement or even paralysis. I still wonder how my meek and nervous wife got over her fears and gave consent for the surgery. I can only imagine her situation as she signed the operation consent form. My parents were informed of my situation, however only my dad knew about the surgery. They would be arriving only the next day from Chennai. Meanwhile, the cardiac surgeon gave a clean chit to my heart and related systems.

I was wheeled into Operation Theater at 1.00PM after my loved ones arranged a pretty big amount for the surgery. Indu initiated the process for insurance claim. My in-laws had arrived and I remember Indu, Anju, my uncles and in-laws lined up to see me off to the OT. I remember happily waving to all as I was wheeled into the lift. I don’t have much memory of what happened inside the OT. I was brought out by 8.00PM and shifted to NICU (Neuro Intensive Care Unit). On route, I was greeted by all my loved ones and I was said to have waved again and consoled everyone by telling that “I am alright”.

I was received by a friendly team of nurses in NICU. It was a great time out there. I was able to get over my pain with the friendly chats and jokes. I will never forget them, neither would they forget me because of the fun we had in an ICU!!! The setting that you are in, the attitude of people around you and positive energy around you certainly helps in faster recovery.

Day three in ICU, they removed a tube that was draining blood from my brain. Well! What should I term the discomfort as.. Hmmm… Maybe excess blood started flooding and left side of my face was swollen up in less than an hour. I usually bear most of the pains and tensions – however, this was turning out to be a torture. I felt silent and was sleeping most of the time. This surprised the nursing staff. The trauma of the pain was almost disorienting me, however I did not want to disappoint or dishearten my loved ones by showing my pain.

Indu used to regularly come visiting me during the visitor’s time twice in a day in the NICU. My dad and Anju also paid a visit. Indu used to wait outside the NICU from 8.00AM in the morning to 8.00PM in the night till I was released to the ward. My surgeon was pretty happy with my progress and shifted me to my room on day 4.
My in-laws, parents and many other relatives were beside me in my room and I was very excited to meet them all talked my heart out with them to end up in severe pain at night. My wifey and dad called it quits and as per the advice of the doctor prevented visitors from meeting me. A “No visitors please” board now hung up outside my room!!!

Indu, dad and mom took turns to take care of me in the room. Doctor used to come every day and was delighted with my progress. I had a ‘Ghajini’ style cut over my head starting from my left forehead semi circling all the way till my left ear. Twenty two sutures were on my head which were supposed to be removed on Mar 5th. Nevertheless the surgeon was so happy about the healing that he ordered it to be removed a day before and he set Mar 8th as the day of discharge. By now my back (left hip) was aching terrible and it was very difficult for me to sit, however I could walk. The doctor ordered physiotherapy for pain relief. Although they never specified I strongly doubt it to be either due to cerebral angiogram or anesthesia puncture.

Once on the way back from physiotherapy room, I walked out of the lift to bump into two of my students from Rajagiri College. They heard about my condition and dropped by to check me out. It was a very touching situation and I was really moved by their love and care. The next day we had two more students dropping by and deviating from our ‘No Visitors’ policy Indu allowed them to meet me.

This was a major, high risk surgery and everyone was tensed and anxious for my recovery. But one notable person who had taken the maximum pressure and stood like a rock throughout was my wife, Indu. You can imagine her dilemma as we had planned for a Goa trip and a bash with our friends for our first wedding anniversary which falls on Mar 21. Now all she hoped and prayed was to get me back. She stood outside the NICU everyday from morning to night and prayed for me. The Lord heard her prayers and that of all my friends, relatives and well wishers, clients and mentees!

My surgeon discharged me on March 8th with three restrictions – no stressful activities, no mobile usage and no laptop usage and absolutely no work! He wants me to meet him for a checkup after a month. I have crossed two of the critical stages after my surgery. A last one remains and the time frame set for this milestone is three months. Let me hope and pray for the best.

I came off to my parent’s place to recuperate. It is place near Chennai called Arakkonam. A very peaceful and serene campus, it is perfect for my walks and strolls. It has been a month here and I am all set meet my surgeon in a week’s time. I am planning another month of rest and recuperation on my own decision because I guess “When an illness knocks you on your ass, you should stay and relax for a while before trying to get back up”.

PS: So have I been chasing wealth and losing my health all along? Nah! I don't believe in chasing money. I do believe in chasing success. Money will come with success! Probably in the race against time to prove and win it all, I did not listen to the call of my body.. All i listened to was my brain and my heart. I realized it the hard way! What upsets me is that I had to make a lot of people undergo pain, tension and trauma for this. I apologize.

You all know how strong willed and casual I am when it comes to ways of life. But now take it from my heart as a loving advice -Never take your health for granted.

Comments

anjana said…
Really touching one.

As I'v wrote somewhere - one of the very few moments when we recognize the value of a healthy life. .its uncertainty.. a moment when we blindly start believing in all forms of God…. And expecting miracles to happen.

Well, u'r rich enough with loved ones.
Arun B.Nair said…
Many Thanks, Anjana! I really am the wealthiest when it comes to loved ones and friends! :-)
sruthi nair said…
Man, i can only imagine what Indu might have gone through and of course your family on the whole.
Its truly amazing that you got through this all well and am thanking God for freaking me out and also letting me know that my friend is doing alright and around me for me talk to.
i know i shouldn't call now but when the doc says you can talk on the mobile, i shall call you 1st... :D....

You R a Rich guy like anjana said and may ur wealth last with you forever.
Unknown said…
Well Arun you are truly blessed with a second Life. As what we say in our caste it all because of Indu. Indu ne Apne suhag ki raksha ki, Tumhara ye Jeevan use ki den hai. Lekin mere hisab se tumhe ab hamesha hi apni tabiyat ka Dhyan rakhna chaiye. Aur ha tumhare saath to mere jaise logo ki dua bhi to hai

Popular Posts