Ouch! My funny bone..

People ask me where I got my goofy and slapstick sense of humour. Err! Probably I was born with it, else it’s cause of my way of looking at life.

I’ve always felt and keep advising my mentees to bring in humour as a part of communication. Humour bridges the gap between persons. It makes people intimate in a instant; breaks ice and paves way for a healthy relationship.

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” ~Victor
Borge

But BEWARE! It can also backfire if not handled properly. If you don’t use your humour sense with care and without judging people, u can bet on my brain that you will be in serious trouble. It has happened to me several times.

I remember this funny.. err ‘not so funny’ incident when I messed up with this pretty babe
at Chennai airport by starting a conversation on a funny note. She was sitting next to me, ‘my kind of babe’ and very attractive but she looked agitated, probably she was frustrated due to the delayed flight or a fight with her boy friend. I felt it was the best time to bump into her. It was a perfect start, the timing was right but then my ice breaking ‘humour’ broke her into fits of anger and tears. I came to know later that she was going to Kerala to attend her favourite granny’s cremation. Oops !! What a situation to be! Not only did I hurt her with my crude joke, I did a bigger damage as she was in mourning. But then my experience in handling relationship and people helped me rectify the mistake and I did it in style – That lady is good friend now.

So why use humour and make people laugh? The average child laughs 300 times a day. The average adult? Who knows, but I bet it’s not
more than a dozen times a day. Only a person who can laugh at himself can make people around him laugh!!

Laughter is truly the best medicine. Humor is infectious. The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze.
The healthier side of laughter indicates it to be a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Humour lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

When people are laughing, they're generally not killing each other. ~Alan Alda


In my opinion more than 'world peace activists' what we need in this world is probably 'laughter activists'. One cannot laugh when he or she is not happy. Hence, a happy laughing world should always be at peace. right?

It has been proved over and again that some of the most successful people have the trait of good humor in them. Check out what microsoft has to say about this competency here.

So get going, spread joy.. Keep laughing, I will laugh with you!


"Seven days without laughter makes one weak." ~Mort Walker

Comments

Popular Posts